Main content starts

Returning to learning

You can return to learning at any point in your working career to build up your qualifications.

If you haven't got qualifications

Get free advice from the National Careers Service - look at the options on the website or phone them on 0800 100 900. The government pays for lots of courses for people who are worried about their literacy or numeracy, or are under 25 and don't yet have any qualifications.

Consider an apprenticeship because you'll gain qualifications while you're doing it.  

Free learning for everyone

Go to the Free University Brighton to find hundreds of free local learning opportunities on a really wide range of topics. There's no assessment and you can sign up for 1 session or a whole series. This is a brilliant way of learning new things and a good place to start if you think you might want to move on to a more formal course later on. 

The BBC has free online courses for adults so you can brush up your skills at home -  everything from English and maths to health, history, sport and fitness.  

The Open University has over 600 free online courses that you can access from home and do in your own time, at your own pace.

Leaflets with more ideas

Getting qualifications

Find out what's available at your local college or university - University of Brighton, University of Chichester, University of Sussex. Phone and ask about entry requirements and any available financial help.

Look at The Open University for distance learning.  Courses are open entry so you don't need qualifications to start and you get study skills advice as well as academic input. You can do a single course or work towards a certificate, diploma or degree. Depending on your income, there might be financial help.

If you're already a graduate

If you don't want a full Masters level qualification a short course could make all the difference to your employability. Check out Brighton University's training and development.

Search UK postgraduate courses and research opportunities on UKPASS and get some advice about postgraduate finance. Whilst there is funding available for programmes in social work, nursing and teaching, postgraduate students aren't supported by the Student Loans Company. UKPASS has information about funding from UK Research Councils, Professional and Career Development Loans and Postgraduate Studentships.  


No need to print yet! Click here to go to your personal planning pack and save paper

Can't find what you're looking for? Want to comment on our website? Email us

Ask a question